As I begin this next post, I need to ask the question: Are you comfortable? The late poet, Carl Sandburg made an interesting statement about himself that all of us can relate to: "There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud." An interesting dichotomy, both of animal response, and human tendencies. I believe, through Christ, we each have the ability to soar beyond our human capacities. I also believe, that we each have the tendency to wallow in the lowest puddles when we put our trust in ourselves. This is what I want to consider in this post-being comfortable, complacent. The difference between the two mindsets above affect us individually, as a country, and as the body of Christ.
So, what are the signs that I am too comfortable? First, do you live/worship with high expectations? Too often we go to church because it's the thing we've always done. Do we really believe what we worship, or is it just a convenient method of self help? I realize we all get in ruts, but IF we truly believe something, shouldn't we labor until fruit is born?
Next, salvation is called the greatest of all gifts, but this gift is meant to be shared, not kept to oneself. This leads me to the second sign: have you had a spiritual conversation with a non believer recently? There is a reason why the gospel is called the "good news"; because it is meant to bring joy into the life of the receiver through the ministry of Jesus Christ. I've been asked what is the most important part of witnessing. I know that this is not something that everyone is comfortable with. My response is always the same: the relationship you have with your Savior. It's not about making a scene, or being able to out debate someone else. The power behind witnessing is the relationship you have with Christ. For example, have you ever happened upon a friend you haven't seen in a while and asked how their family is? Well, if they're a typical human being, out comes the wallet, and 97 pictures unfold, accordion style. This is what a deep, meaningful relationship with Christ does; when you meet someone who doesn't know him, something inside of you groans to express itself. Witnessing is fruitage.
Finally, do your prayers not make it through the ceiling? Again, this is another lack of expectations. I had an friend tell me once, that he didn't believe God spoke to people; that we have his words in the scriptures, and that's all we need. I then asked him if he prayed. He answered "yes", to which I then asked him "why?" He looked puzzled. I responded by asking him that if he didn't believe that God spoke, what purpose is there in praying if we didn't think He'd respond. His response: "I need to think about this". If we truly believe God at his word, then He doesn't change. Not only does He not change, but He is still involved in our lives, and that He is also providing miracles in the lives of His people.
I believe that one of the most important cures for these conditions is having a vision beyond this mortal life. Proverbs 29:18 reads "there is no vision, the people perish". One cannot maintain an healthy vision without actively seeking it. This means an unrelenting pursuit of our Savior. This kind of vision keeps us from becoming comfortable in this life, and propels us, spiritually, into the eternal realm. It creates an aversion to this world; an INSPIRED aversion.
Now, talking about being comfortable in this life can make us feel uncomfortable. I understand this. I am one who does not deal with change well. I should have been a Hobbit. But the reality of it is this: God DOES NOT want us to be comfortable! Consider the following examples:
* Worshipping the one, true God took Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego from the comfort of the palace to the fiery furnace.
* Praying to the one, true God took Daniel from the comfort of his royal home to a lions den.
* Faithfulness to her God took Mary from the comfort of her life and upcoming wedding to being an unwed woman, about to give birth to the Son of God.
* Listening to God took Moses from the comfort of his flocks to leading a nation across the Red Sea.
* Faith in her God took Esther from the comfort of her castle to the scepter, and possible execution at the hand of her husband and King.
* Love for his creation took Jesus from the comfort of His Fathers Kingdom in Heaven to pain and suffering on the cross.
While I do advocate an aversion to this life, I'm not suggesting that we pass up on joy, or carry a burden of being perpetually glum. Joy, in this life, does not come from "stuff", but our relationship with Jesus. While we are here, we are to be positive in our witnesses, and bubbling with hope. I believe this is what the Apostle Paul meant when he penned "But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me
hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked
opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound; everywhere and
in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to
abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
In closing, I want to share one last scripture, which is found in the Inspired Version: "And this is mine everlasting covenant, that when thy posterity shall
embrace the truth, and look upward, then shall Zion look downward, and
all the heavens shall shake with gladness, and the earth shall tremble
with joy; And the general assembly of the church of the firstborn shall come down
out of heaven, and possess the earth, and shall have place until the end
come. And this is mine everlasting covenant, which I made with thy
father Enoch." The key to keeping a living vision is to "look up". Physically, when we look up, all of the things around us become blurry, out of focus. This is what the Lord desires of us: to live VERTICALLY. As we look upward, he shall look downward, and our relationship with him will be clear. May His Kingdom soon be upon this earth, even as it is in Heaven. God bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment