Sunday, May 13, 2018

God chose my companion

     On this Mother's Day, 2018, I would like to honor my Lord by sharing my testimony of how He provided the best mother and companion I could have ever hoped for.  I was raised in a broken home, so divorce was a real thing to me; it runs deep in my family.  I always hoped to get married and have the "perfect" family, but if divorce was a possibility, then I wouldn't go there.  I shuttered at the thought of being the cause of children growing up in poverty as I did.
     Sure, I dated.  In college, at work, anywhere I found someone that I thought could make me what I wanted to be.  After I was ordained, I tried to limit my dating to church girls, but that didn't last; they were no fun.  After another heartbreak, I decided to examine my relational path.  I realized that my dating was meant to fulfill MY needs; not hers, not Gods.  I knew then that I needed to change my life in a deeper way.
     One night, I offered up some prayer time to my Lord, and in this prayer, I recommitted myself to his work-at all costs.  I decided to give up dating and pursue only Him.  If he provided me a companion, then it would be ok; if not, then I will be as Paul and serve Him until I should pass from this life.  I was good with this, it gave me real peace, and I was blessed by His Spirit.
     Not too long after this commitment, I started "running into" a friend by the name of Karen.  We knew each other through young adult gatherings, and numerous youth ministries.  It seemed any gathering I attended, she was there, and we ended up sitting together.  On occasion, I would call her on a Friday night to see what she was doing.  Usually, I got the answer "laundry", so I knew we had the same social makeup.  One Wednesday night, she showed up at my church and sat with me for prayer service.  I was getting "those" feelings again.  Afterword, we went to Perkins and got a bite to eat, and talked about our lives.  I kissed her hand afterward as I walked her to her car.  Something her was different; or was it?  Now, I'm confused and concerned.
     I went home that night and thought about the conversation I had with my Lord.  I realized that this could simply be a test.  I didn't want to fail this AGAIN.  So, that night, I offered my evening prayer with the desire I had to be in His will, no matter what.  I had to know, is Karen your chosen companion for me, or is my heart simply betraying me again.  If my heart was not in accordance with His will, then I needed to end this relationship before someone gets hurt.  I begged the Lord for wisdom, and he provided it.
     That night, I had a dream.  I was in a church, and people were coming up and congratulating me.  At first, I didn't know why, then I realized I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!  I looked down at my attire: jeans and a t-shirt; not the typical dress for such and occasion.  Then, I realized that I didn't have any rings, so I began walking around the congregation, asking couples if I could borrow their rings.  What a mess!!!  Suddenly, I realized something of great importance: I don't know who I'm marrying.  Oh boy.  In the chaos of this dream, I collected my thoughts and sought out a quiet place where I could be alone.  In a hallway of the church, I asked the Lord "Lord, who am I marrying?"  His response was simple "You are marrying Karen".  I knew then what his plan was for me.  But what about Karen?
     We continued to get closer.  One Saturday evening, I was visiting her at her house.  I needed to go because I was preaching the next morning, and I needed more preparation.  As I left, I mentioned to her that if she ever received a testimony, I had something I needed to share with her.  Little did I know, she already had one.
     After church, she came to my apartment and read her testimony to me, and I shared my experience with her.  We were officially engaged, and I kissed her for the first time.  The rest, as it's said, is history.  We will celebrate 21 years of marriage this year, and I am constantly reminded of Gods love for me through her.  She has provided me two loving children, and a place that I retreat to after work that is called a "HOME".  What a blessing she is to me!
     So, what advice could I give a young person that is single?  It's simple: don't do something about it, do something WITH it.  Use that time to draw near the Lord, and He will take care of your needs.  He know you, He loves you, and He wants the best for you.  Place your faith and your life in His hands, and allow Him to show Himself strong to you.  He WILL provide.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment