Monday, June 3, 2019

Love

  
      "For God so loved the world, that he gave his Only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish; but have everlasting life.  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."  I'm sure everyone who has ever gone to church knows this scripture from John 3:16-17.  It's easily the most used (overused?) scripture by anyone who claims to be a Christian.  It seems to be a "get out of jail free" card for all those who don't want to hear about repentance, or that have no intention on changing their lives.  "God will accept me for who I am" is the general response.  But is this the real intent of these verses?  I think not.  There is a well of understanding that is being offered into the character of God in these verses, and also quite a bit of wisdom as to how we should behave as believers.

     To be honest, as a young man, I hated these verses.  I grew up in a single parent family, with all of the poverty and scorn that accompanies it.  Love was not spoken in our home.  I knew my mom loved me, but I honestly never remember her saying so.  Perhaps my disdain over this beloved verse is because I never felt it.  Because of my "growing up years", I always found myself drawn to verses such as "my sword is bathed blood", or "my wrath shall soon be upon all my creation."  It wasn't that I really wanted God's wrath upon anyone, but, I think, it was more a stipulation on my part, that everyone will get there own some day; that what I experience will be experienced by everyone else.  I believe it's the old "misery loves company" syndrome.  How little I truly understood about the love of God, and the extents to which He went to show us this love.

     Arthur Oakman once stated that "the instrument of love is sacrifice".  I believe this to be a true statement.  If you claim to love anyone, you will be forced to make some difficult decisions on their behalf.  Is God any different?  Let's examine John 3:16.  In this verse, we find 3 realities: God, love, and the world.  Following these three words we find one word that speaks to the divine nature; GAVE.  He GAVE His Son for us!  There was no other way to bring His creation back to Himself.  And the Son GAVE Himself willingly, because He loved His Father.  Let me here introduce you to a spiritual truth: you cannot keep a spiritual principle without expressing it temporally.  I want you to read this again: YOU CANNOT KEEP A SPIRITUAL PRINCIPLE WITHOUT EXPRESSING IT TEMPORALLY.   I cannot tell my family that I love them (spiritual principle) without taking care of their physical needs, such as food, raiment, housing, etc.  Without this temporal expression, the word "love" remains just another four letter word.  But the scriptures are filled with God's response toward us.  I once was watching a televangelist who was pointing at his bible and said "this bible represents mans search for his God".  I thought about this statement, and realized I couldn't disagree more.  The scriptures that we have are the testimony of God in a passionate pursuit of His people!  And it all began in the Garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit.  As soon as Eve took a bite of the fruit, the death warrant for Jesus was signed.  Not as a second thought, but as the response of love from the God who we belong to.  Jesus willingly sacrificed himself for us.  There was no other way back to God.  There still is no other way back to God.  Jesus himself stated "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."  

     So, how can we begin to love God as He deserves?  It all goes back to the relationship; spend time with him.  In prayer, in His word, in meditation, in singing.  We so often are too busy in life to make time for him-to sacrifice something on His behalf.  As we begin to know Him, we'll find that we love Him more.  And, interestingly, we'll find more love for those around us.  That's the way His Spirit works.  Jesus gave His disciples a new commandment in John 13, and it is just as pertinent for us today: "A new commandment I give unto you. That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."  You see, THIS kind of love is beyond a physical type of affection or care.  This kind of love is "Agape"; it is fruitage of the Spirit.  This kind of love cannot be discovered through learning or practice, it comes only through revelation.  As the revelation of God through His son Jesus is placed in our being, it, like a seed, will produce much fruit.  When Jesus said "if you love me, keep my commandments", He didn't mean it a law, backed by a taskmasters whip.  He meant it as a response to His love, working in our lives, changing us into Heavenly beings that will abide in His presence.  As He died for us, so we must die for him, and all that we have opportunity to witness to.  It's a supernatural response to a supernatural love.  I once heard someone say "see the thing, be the thing".  Not sure what exactly was meant, but we need to see Jesus in our everyday lives if we're ever to be like Him.  Wonder when the Kingdom will come?  When we love as he loves.  God bless.

     :. 

No comments:

Post a Comment